Tuning exam unisons, was: Odd partial

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Mon, 04 Nov 1996 08:26:20 -0500

Dear Jim and Dean,
Thank you both for the quick response.  Now, which of you is correct?

These opposing answers from two of our CTEs (and technicians) that I most
respect bring to mind one of my major concerns with our RPT exams:  even
though we strive to ensure that a test administered in Charlotte NC is the
same exam administered in Seattle WA, it isn't simply due to the human
factor.

I believe in and support our exam process, but we still have a long way to go
to make the process work better. In the course of administering our exams,
after finding the volunteers to do the work, the next obstacle is to
establish a test site. The long absense of a test center in Florida is a
prime example. Thanks goodness that has finally come to pass, but
unfortunately many more are needed all over PTG land.

The next obstacle is to staff that site with competent examiners; not just
CTEs but with RPTs as well who *all* understand what the test requires. The
next obstacle is to ensure that our examiners all use the same criteria when
giving an exam be it in Charlotte, in Seattle, in Honolulu or wherever.

These obstacles can be overcome. I believe we must put more emphasis and
resourses (i.e. $$$) on examiner training--RPTs as well as CTEs. How? Through
better utilization of our volunteer resources. A couple of suggestions are
classes at our Annual and Regional Conventions focusing on RPT training;
canned classes that we could give to Chapters on how to both administer and
take the tuning and technical exams. Other minds better than mine will come
up with even more creative ideas. While we will never (well maybe never)
achieve perfection, it doesn't mean that we should not try to achieve it!

Gina Carter

PS List, after reading what I wrote above, the thought occured to me that
this might be more appropriate on ptg-l. But since the idea generated here, I
shall post it and defer to you as to further discussion.