Unstrung Soundboards

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 05 Nov 1996 09:52:07 -0500

Lorlin;
 This sounds like a sticky wicket!
Because of your comments I will assume that NO restringing has been done.
 1. It is possible for there to be an 'apparent' extra crown but that does
not indicate a problem per se.
  2. Some grands, including S&S and Yam., have extremly close clearances
between the bass bridge and the plate but in 'no case' should these
clearances be so close as to allow any portion of the bridge to touch any
portion of the plate. Some makes of small grands exhibit this tendency to the
extreme.
 3. If the bass apron is touching the plate, than the apron can be
trimmed to clear in all circumstances.
 4. Does the placement of the apron/bridge assembly indicate a poor job by
the original installer ?  I would be hesitant to say so without knowing what
the installer had to work with. Also did the soundboard installer install the
brdges ?

 I would suggest the following choices of action.
A. Report only what you see without any comment as to the correctness of the
situation unless you are absolutely comfortable with your comments.
B. Decline the job and stay out of it.
   Lorlin it sounds to me as if you are in a no win situation here, please be
careful.
Jim Bryant (FL)