Dead Note

Bonifield-Poulson bonifarm@oro.net
Wed, 06 Nov 1996 12:42:02 -0500

List Members: I recently restrung Vose and Sons upright, circa 1900.
One problem has cropped up.  G5, the first note after the treble plate
strut, has very little sustain and much less volume than its
neighboring notes.  I've tried voicing it up, down, and every which
way, with no improvement.  The bridge at this point is notched quite
deeply,to pass under the strut, and the strings for G5 are very close
to the edge of the notching.  Scott Johnson of this list has suggested
that the energy transmission has been compromised by having the
strings so close to the edge.  He suggested installing a maple bar on
the back side of the soundboard, behind the bridge, to increase the
energy transmission, and also lightening the hammer moulding and
reshaping the hammer to more of a pointed shape.  Any other ideas
before I dive in to these modifications?  The owner is  nervous about
operating on his heirloom instrument.  Thanks, Patrick Poulson, RPT