Single vs. three string unisons

Dean L. Reyburn, RPT dean@reyburn.com
Thu, 07 Nov 1996 00:59:35 -0400

Fred Sturm writes;
>So the question I have, which maybe Dean Reyburn
>can answer, is why the RCT is able to pick this up while the SAT is not.

Reyburn CyberTuner has an auto-measure feature in which the user does not
have to judge whether a display is moving or not, the computer makes the
measurement by itself and displays the results.  It's accurate to .01
cents
though each measurement on a real piano may not be in a .02 range as you
might expect.  Piano pitch varies several tenths of a cent (or more!) from
attack to decay, and depends greatly on strike force.

>I don't think it is just a matter of relative accuracy (the SAT is very
>reliable within .2 cents, even accounting for difficulty in interpreting the
>lights).

Its not exactly accuracy, but RCT's flat/sharp display is more sensitive
that any other display I have seen.  For example, it uses 128 discrete
positions around the circle. Its response is fast enough to see extremely
small changes in pitch instantly.  The sensitivity of the display can be
increased or decreased by the user, making it super-sensitive allowing you
to see extremely small pitch changes.

> Maybe it has to do with the time element - how long a sample the RCT
>takes before measuring vs. the SAT.

The auto-measure ("Listener") mode uses about a 5 second recording time
in the midrange.  This time gradually decreases in the treble and
increases in the bass to match the sustain in the average piano.  After
auto-measure, the user can view the "spinner" and manually change the
measurement if he sees fit.

RCT uses completely different filtering system than any other visual
tuning device, its all digital like a compact disc, that may be part
of the reason for the difference.  You might want to try another piano
also, I suspect you will get a little different result with each piano.

-Dean

 Dean L. Reyburn, RPT
 2695 Indian Lakes Road
 Cedar Springs, Michigan, USA             web page:   www.reyburn.com