Keyboard replacement the hard way

oorebeek oorebeek@euronet.nl
Thu, 07 Nov 1996 17:28:38 +0200

>However, I never have, so I would like the benefit of someone
>else's experience.  How much work is there to do after you get the keys
>back?
Hello David,
I might be of assistance, because I have done probably a hundred or =
more keyboard replacements for yamaha.
These replacements were necessary because the new key top covering =
called Ivorite was too porous.
The keys turned black after some use because of finger grease and =
sweat.
Unfortunately I have no any experience with Steinert but most =
important, I think, is to have accurate knowledge about the (key =
height) the distance between the table and the underside of the key =
top covering.
For yamaha this measure (in mm, I'm sorry) is for all models 64 mm, =
the concert grand has 66 mm because the key's are longer.
Steinway for instance has 63 versus 65.
You must get the right measure first!
Armed with this knowledge, you can make a beginning by removing the =
old keys and then start a thorough cleaning job.
Since I can not know your experience it may be possible that I tell =
you things you allready knew a long long time ago, in that case skip =
a beat.
On the other hand, it could be valuable to tell about one's =
experience anyhow because that is exactly how we all learn, through =
each other.

So... I used to rush through this kind of job because 1. I was afraid =
of doing it (lack of knowledge) 2. It is a back breaker so one =
hurries 3. to finish the work, one needs to completely re-regulate =
the action, tune and do a voicing because the touch changes  and =
therefore the sound too. Factory trained people do this kind of work =
in, say, 5 hours.
If one does not have a lot of experience, it may at least take a day =
or even longer.
Because of the number of keyboard changes I did, I now have a new =
attitude towards this specific work.
It has given me the insight (over the years) that all the things you =
do to a keyboard, an action a tuning and a hammer, will change the =
outcome drastically. This of course is old news to all of us but one =
of the reasons why I almost have a nervous breakdown during these =
last years, is because I have learned the hard way to be precise and =
methodical (with the help of the right knowledge).
OK, so you remove the keys, you clean the key frame with a vacuum =
cleaner, if the balance punching cloth and the front punching cloth =
are gone or eaten up replace with proper size.
Clean the pins and spray them afterwards with (for instance) Mclube =
or CLP.
Now you put in the new keys one by one and you make sure that each =
one fits perfectly and falls down smoothly over the pins.
Put your lead weights on the back checks and check each key for =
laying horizontal on the front side. If not, use a straight edge or a =
screw driver to give the balance pin another position.
Check the key spacing on the front and make a change by bending the =
front pin.
If the key frame has key frame screws, make sure that there is a firm =
contact between each screw and the table and that the front of the =
frame also is firmly connected with the table.
Precise instructions for these screws in connection with frame, =
table, key height and down bearing are too much information for =
now.At Yamaha's they give seminars about this issue lasting hours!
Now you are ready to begin with the laying straight of the keys with =
the help of a small scale, a straight edge, tweezers and paper =
punching.
Make a number of test keys (at least all a's) and start the slow work.
I think for a start this should be enough.
If I can be of more assistance, please let me know. I'm sure others =
will be of assistance too.

friendly greetings from:

Andr=E9 Oorebeek
CONCERT PIANO SERVICE