Knuckles

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 08 Nov 1996 07:08:58 -0500 (EST)

Thanks  Bill,
The bulk of the thump is on jack return. Now that you mention it, I can take
off the top action and tweek those a little too.
Last month I had an 20-30 yr old Acrosonic in the shop. There was a clicking
that was difficult to trace, it sounded like hard glue on the butt felt. It
turned out to
be the leather. Somekind of composite material which turned stiff, at least
that's
what it looked like. Once the rewarding task of replacing the buckskin was over
with, the piano has a rather smoothe touch.
Jon

At 12:55 AM 11/8/96 +0000, you wrote:
>As someone else has done, I want to clarify if you mean the knuckles
>make a noise when 1) the jack returns, or 2) when the hammer returns.
>
>If it is the latter, that there is a "klunk" when the hammer hits
>bottom, you may have better success needling or replacing the wippen
>cushion felt.  Most actions that are 25 years old have densely packed
>felt in both the knuckle and the wippen cushion.
>
>>Date:	Thu, 07 Nov 1996 15:59:47 -0500 (EST)
>>From:	Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
>>Sender:	owner-pianotech@byu.edu
>>To:	pianotech@byu.edu
>>Subject:	Knuckles
>>
>>I have a customer with 25 yr old 'M'.  The knuckles are dense
>>and make noise when the jack returns.
>>Question: Can they be softened?
>

>Bill Maxim, RPT, Piano Technicians Guild    wmaxim@gnn.com
>Serving South Carolina from Columbia and Greer

Jon Page
Cape Cod. Mass