Hamburg S&S tour/price ? for S&S "A"

Gary Evoniuk Ph.D. evoniuk~ge@glaxowellcome.com
Fri, 08 Nov 1996 14:40:01 -0500

[This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

To the List:

Let me introduce myself as a lurker for the past few months and
avid devourer of the pt archives.  As a pianist, I have great
interest in the inner workings of my instrument, and this list
continues to build my respect and admiration for those who
practice your art.  May I ask 2 questions (at least one of which
I hope is wholly appropriate for this list):

(1)  I will be travelling to Hamburg next week, and wanted to
know whether anyone has any experience/recommendations regarding
visiting or touring S&S there.  I may have time to squeeze in a
factory tour while there, and will at least take the opportunity
to play the local product.  Any suggestions?

(2)  [ignore if uninterested in $ question] I have the
opportunity to buy a 1904 (NY) model "A" for $7000.  Details:
never rebuilt, burled walnut case in excellent condition
(probably refinished x1) for age, bridges fine, pinning still
solid, positive bearing, soundboard has crown but at least one
major separation and several smaller cracks in various states of
repair (but no buzzing, etc.), pin block so-so, action original
and so-so, original ivories in excellent condition (no chips) but
appear thinned down.  Plays well enough now.  Obvious candidate
for rebuild within next couple years.  Comments on whether this
sounds like a good value and ballpark (+/- $2000) estimate for
rebuilding cost from those of you in this field would be greatly
appreciated as private replies.

Again, thanks to BYU and so many of you masters of this field for
the education and enlightenment that this list provides.  I
believe that my technician would also thank you for improving my
ability to speak his language - but he's not on this list.

Gary Evoniuk
Durham, NC