Night Tuning

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 08 Nov 1996 15:20:40 -0600

Hi David,

   I occasionally tune or work on a piano at night that is difficult to get
to during the day. Especially if it's going to take several hours. I have
considered taking off during the day and coming in about 3 or 4 PM and
working until midnight, or whenever, because it's so much easier to get to
the studio and classroom pianos. Also, that's early enough to take care of
any administrative type of work that needs to be done during regular office
hours.
   Brian DeTar told me recently that he didn't need much sleep so he used
to go into the university where he worked at the time about midnight and
stay until 7 AM or so. If your body can make the adjustment, I can
definitely see some advantages to doing it one of these ways, especially if
you have to get a lot of pianos tuned fairly quickly.
   Of course, it also helps if you're single. :-)

Avery

>        I would like to know how many of the full time institutional
>technicians depend on nighttime access to pianos (either for yourselves or
>your staff)  in order to accomplish the required maintenance.   If so,
>please give some details.  Thanks
>David Skolnik
>Manhattan School Of Music
>dskolnik@earthlink.net