BACKCHECKS, BRAINS AND SHINY MEDALS

oorebeek oorebeek@euronet.nl
Sat, 09 Nov 1996 20:36:17 +0200

>From:        JIMRPT@aol.com
>To:          pianotech@byu.edu, pianotech@byu.edu
>
>Andre;
>  I think that we all understand the phenomenon as you have described it.
>The reason for this is as follows......... When the knobilling pin is held
>captive, by the knobilling pin holder, the effect of the exerted forces is
>concentrated in a more linear fashion as opposed to the wandering of the =
of a
>non-captive knobilling pin.
>Because of this if the motion, before prescribed action, is concentrated =
in a
>wave envelope conducive to excitation of a standing member the tone will
>change, perhaps due to framus friction.
>  In other words Andre I can not explain what you have described !  I do =
know
>that the 'power' of repeated strokes on a given note is effected =
dramatically
>with changing backcheck catching height.  With that in mind let me ask =
this
>question. Is the change in tone/power you describe on the initial blow or =
on
>subsequent repeat blows?
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Jim! It seems as if you understand (technically speaking) how to =
explain this "phenomenon".
The change in tone power is permanent after the described procedure, =
if you turn the backcheck
down to it's original position the power has "toned down".
To be honest with you, I could not really understand what you were =
talking about, I have never heard of the word "knobilling pin holder".
 I also do not understand:
"Because of this if the motion, before prescribed action, is =
concentrated in a wave envelope conducive to excitation of a standing =
member the tone will change, perhaps due to framus friction.
It sounds like abcadabra, if you have the kind energy please =
enlighten me!

friendly greetings from:

Andr=E9 Oorebeek
CONCERT PIANO SERVICE