Changing FR Felts

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Sat, 09 Nov 1996 18:05:37 -0600

Jerry,

   A somewhat related question. Would doing the same thing (changing out
the FR felts) also affect the way the pianist perceives the touch? That
isn't really the correct word, but a customer the other day complained
about her B feeling almost like it would feel if she were playing on a
table; a hard, percussive type of feel.
   I assume changing the felt would improve that because of the
comepression of the old felt. Or could it be something else?

Avery

>Jerry Anderson wrote:
>
>Several years ago, in one of the Hamburg voicing rooms
>Stephan Knupfer demonstrated to me that he could get
>a noticable difference in tone quality in a Steinway D by
>changing the front rail felts.  The piano was one of their
>circulating concert instruments, only about 18 months
>old.  By changing an 18 month old, not visably worn, front
>rail felt with a new one (controlling carefully that the touch
>depth was not altered), he demonstrated that the tone became
>significantly more warm sounding.  He could move the
>new  punching from one note to another without my looking
>and I could find it every time by it's distinctive sound.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
713-743-3226