Knuckles >Installation< HOLD THE PHONE!

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 00:18:28 -0500 (EST)

The jack should have a smooth excapement off the knuckle.
Therefore, the smooth nap needs to go towards the flange.
You do want_some_friction at the jack/knuckle, but having the
grain against this motion would tend to cause drag, even a
rough feel; if you will.
It's almost 12 midnight here, and I just finished repairing my
VCR in the shop (I work out of my home). This topic popped
into my head and I figured, "Why not check the new s/f in stock".
Lo and behold,  Hamburg & US Steinway, Renner USA, Tokiwa
all have the grain running with the playing motion of the jack.
Even older S&S shanks (1915 presently in shop).
It doesn't need to go with the return of the jack because the
repetition lever (bridge to our euros. buds) should be aiding this.
And I am unanimous in that.

To Infinity . . . and Beyond !

Jon Page
Cape Cod. Mass