Knuckle removal > Installation >

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:45:17 +0000

Hi Jim,

About 15 years ago we were dealing with Con pianos a batch had come over
with very rusty tuning pins and  very badly affected with damp.  I had
to write a report saying that they all had to be re-strung and re-
centred throughout.

  Obviously the gentleman in the States was not best pleased with me and
duly dispatched a technician on the next avbailable flight.  The
gentleman arrived and did his stuff, he had some nice kit.  Anyway to
cut a long story short, he came in to the work shop and started to chat
with one of my colleagues,  I was in the process of putting a new set of
rollers on a grand action, which had,  the hammers recoverted instead of
replaced which he said he had never seen that done before on a grand.

He picked up a hammer or two that I had done and pointed out to me that
my rollers were on back to front, I then told him they weren't and I
asked himn is that the way they do it in America, he then got upset and
this is where we found out he was from Canada.  But he did confirm
that's the way he was taught and he did go on to explain in great detail
why.  But to be truefully honest I was not taking much notice of the
man,  as it was the end of a long day, which on reflection was rather
stupid on my part as this senior
technician from Canada was probably a very knoledgable technician. in
all we had 3 outside tec's look at the pianos.  We stopped dealing with
Con not long after that.

In article <961111161817_1483938041@emout01.mail.aol.com>,
JIMRPT@aol.com writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |