Knuckles: nap< or >nap

Stephen F Schell stfrsc@juno.com
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 21:16:30 -0800 (PST)

Dear Jon and List,

By "creaking on keystroke" do you mean that dry, graunching friction that
develops between the knuckle and repetition lever / jack? In my
experience, this only occurs as the hammer is on it's way to the string,
not on the return. In fact, I just walked out to my shop to look at an
action, and observed that the knuckle is rarely in contact with the rep
lever on the return; the parts are mostly in an independent free fall
back to rest.

So, if this is true, these parts mostly take a lot of short, one way
trips against each other. As these surfaces in contact form the worst
source of undesirable friction in the grand action ( contact pressures
can be very high), it would seem to me to be best to orient the nap in
such a way as to minimize the friction - nap toward the flange. Wear
should occur more slowly this way also.

If we ever tire of this subject, we can always start in on backcheck
leather!

Steve Schell
stfrsc@juno.com