PURCHASING REBUILDING TOOLS

ROLLAND MILLER 70642.3604@CompuServe.COM
Tue, 12 Nov 1996 19:44:38 -0500 (EST)

I am planning to purchase some rebuilding tools and would like to get some first
hand opinions.

o  When restringing I usually use the "Sciortino Hand Held Coil Maker" to  make
a coil on a tuning pin and
     then  tap pin/coil into the pinblock.  I like this better than making the
coil on the tuning pin after the pin has
    been tapped into the block.
   HOW WOULD THE "SCIORTINO INSTA-COILER" COMPARE TO THE "SCIORTINO HAND HELD
COILER"?     IT'S MORE PRICEY (ABOUT $55.00 IN THE SUPPLY CATALOGS) BUT IF IT
WILL GET ME THROUGH A             RE-STRINGING JOB MUCH MORE EASILY, I'LL GLADLY
PAY FOR IT .

o  I am also considering a "Hammer Head and Butt Boring Jig".  The supply
catalogs have one listed for about     $25.00.  It looks like it is made of
medal and can be used in a drill press.
    How does Wally Brooks "Hammer Boring Jig" compare?  It costs quite a bit
more but if it does a                 significantly better job I would prefer to
have it.  Any other suggestions?

o  How  do the "Looping Machines" in the supply catalogs compare with each other
for ease of use and     "quality" of the coil they make?  One (Schaff #114) is
made to fit into a base  which is screwed into a      workbench - the other
(Schaff #115) is made to be clamped into a vise.

Any help/advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You may reply thru the listserver or if you prefer,  to my E-mail address:
Rolland Miller, 70642,3604@compuserve.com

Thanks ,
Rolland Miller,  RPT
Miller Piano Service
Berea, OH.
Independent technician & member of the Cleveland PTG.