Yamaha/Kluge Punchings

Brent.Fischer@asu.edu Brent.Fischer@asu.edu
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:37:08 -0700

>Brent,
>
>   Just some clarification for me. Which one is the firmer? Yamaha or
>Kluge? You're putting the firmer punchings on the performance instruments,
>right? Our Hamburg D is starting to get a fairly hard feel at the end of
>the keystroke and I've been considering replacing the felt punchings. It
>gets a tremendous amount of use. Advice? Thanks.
>
>Avery
>
>>The concern of injury makes me think that for our piano studios
>>it may be best to have one instrument with Yamaha punchings and the
>>other with Kluge punchings.  There is definately more shock with
>>the firmer punchings but on performance instruments it will be
>>our strategy to use them throughout.  The conciseness of regulating
>>dip with the Yamaha punchings has us even looking for a source
>>for paper punchings thinner than toilet tissue.
>>
>>Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
>

>_____________________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT
>Moores School of Music
>University of Houston
>713-743-3226
>atodd@uh.edu
>_____________________________________

Dear Avery,

   The Yamaha felt punchings for grands are nearly twice as firm
as the Kluge style. They do make a softer dark green style punching
for their uprights. The grand style has a clearly defined inner
weave with outside layers of normal felt.  Easily observed when
comparing them to the Kluge felt is the very small amount of flex
that happerns on the edges of the felt due to the tight inner weave.
The Kluge style, after intial vertical compression, tends to bluge
outwardly a great deal due to the inner weave differences.

   Who actually makes the punchings for Kluge? I only refer to them
as that since they are standard equipment with Steinway keyboards.
We also have a Hambury D. It gets tortured daily and I suspect
we will change the Yamaha punchings on an annual basis.

Brent.Fischer@ASU.EDU
Arizona State University/Tempe