Silicone spray dilemma

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:58:59 -0500

Keith;
"remove as much of the silicone product from her
piano as possible, and I have been chosen to assist in doing this."

  Keith  liquid Silicone, in all of its permutations that I am aware of, is
soluble in Naphtha. This will clean up silicone as much as it is possible to
clean it up. Felts will have to be replaced, but frame and pins will clean up
nicely.  The use of naphtha requires caution as it is highly flammable. Be
careful, wear gloves as much to keep from spreading the dissolved silicone
over all the surfaces you touch as to protect your hands. Use plenty of rags
and keep in mind that the naptha will leave everything you use it on
'squeaky' clean. Perform the operation in an area with lots of ventilation.
  Silicone has tendency to migrate from whatever surface it is applied to
whatever surface it can find to migrate to, and because of this tendency I
feel that silicone, in its liquid form, has very few, if any, applications on
a piano.
Good Luck Keith.
Jim Bryant (FL)