Damp Chasers & Ivories

Paul Fernandez paulfer@dircon.co.uk
Sat, 16 Nov 1996 19:14:15 +0000

Hi to all you guys and gals on the pianotech lists. I've just joined from
the UK.

I've a question about Dampchaser climate control systems. The concept
seems really risky to me. I have just started fitting them and have found
that, in uprights especially, if the pads are not changed after the
required six months then they get hard and black and they loose their
ability to suck up the water. What then happens is that you now have a
heating element doing the opposite of what it is meant to do. Instead of
evaporating the water and increasing the humidity in the piano you end up
with the humidity being lowered. If the piano is in a dry place then the
heating element is blasting away trying to evaporate water that isn't
there on the pads, even if the resevoir is full, the piano then gets very
dry and deteriorates very quickly. In an ideal world the pads would be
changed strictly at six month intervals and there wouldn't be a problem,
but we all know that sometimes people decide not to tune their pianos for
a while and then they might end up with quite a damaged piano even if
they have been diligent in topping up the water! This is not just a
hypothetical case, I have had this happen to me. The piano wasn't badly
damaged but it had some very noticeable deterioration. Has anyone got any
suggestions? Is there a better system of protecting pianos from very dry
conditions that doesn't involve a room humidifier?

Also people are always asking me the simple question; what is the best
thing for cleaning dirty ivories. I always recommend a weak solution of
water and washing up liquid. Has anyone got any better suggestions?