Salty D-C Pads

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 08:48:05 -0500

Ask yourself this question:  Why isn't rain salty?

After all, rain comes from the ocean!  The ocean is salty.  But when water
evaporates into the clouds the salt is left behind.  Thus, when the humidifier
evaporates the water, the salt is left behind.  I wonder if just ONE INITIAL
pinch of salt is all that would be required?  Seems to me that, eventually, the
tank would become an ocean (a salty ocean)!  Bob?

John Piesik

>...If you're using
>high-mineral water, changing to distilled water should help too.
>                                                 Wilkinson Piano Service
>                                                  Portland, Oregon

Dear List,

This statement caught my attention.

I notice in one of Dampp-Chaser's publications (PN 20252), it says "...the
Low Water Warning Light goes out only if water conducts electricity...light
will not go out if water is pure, such as distilled water...unless you add
one pinch of salt each time pads are changed.  A small amount (1/2 cup) of
tap water will provide the same result as the pinch of salt."

I have never substituted distilled water for tap water, but that "pinch of
salt" thing, it says each time pads are changed rather than each time
distilled water is added.  Is that a misprint?  If not, that's pretty
incredible that one pinch of salt will satisfy the LWL requirements for the
life of each set of pads and all the humidifier tank refills that occur
during that life.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician