small vertical key flop

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 13:39:47 -0500

In a message dated 96-11-18 22:13:07 EST, Audrey Karabinus writes:

> >"There is that annoying tendency for keys of some vertical pianos to be
>  >weighted so heavily towards the front that it interferes with repetition

Is this a direct blow console? if so, some of them depend on the weight of
the wippen to cause the key to return. If the wippen flange center is tight,
the key won't return, no matter how the action is regulated. I have seen some
actions like the ones you describe, which ARE in good condition and still
don't work, and I don't see any other explanation than a design which is too
close to the edge.

Rear weight is not always a bad thing in such a design. In those cases, if
the flanges are good and there's not lots of weight in the front of the key,
adding weight to the back will not only solve the problem, the added inertia
will usually make the action feel better rather than worse.

Bob Davis