Squeaky Knuckles

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 22:49:13 -0500

>"What is the best, and most permanent, way to silence squeaking knuckles on
>new grand pianos?"

I know I am going to get some flack for this but I have found that spraying
the knuckles with graphite is the best solution. The way do this I tip all
the hammers back, and then carefully place masking tape on the knuckles
leaving an area of about 1/4" exposed where the jack scrapes against the
knuckle. To make sure the graphite doesn't get on any other action part, I
will attach newspaper to the masking tape covering the hammershanks and the
wippens. I then spray a light coat of graphite on the exposed part of the
knuckles. This is a dry graphite and it dries on contact. I have done this
for over 15 years and have found it to be very effective, and long lasting,
as I have never gotten a complaint yet.

Willem Blees RPT
St. louis