Titanium Oxide

Frederick G Scoles scoles@oswego.edu
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 10:51:08 -0500 (EST)

When mixing the powdered rutile or anatase (titanium dioxide, whiting) into
hide
glue, the yellowness still shows through unless I use the highest grade
of hide glue available.  The grades sold by Pianotek and by Mohawk seem
to be pretty clear (high grade).  Some of the hide glues from some other
supply companies are be pretty dark and low grade.  No amount of
whiting will mask the yellowness of a low grade glue. Since I don't
repair ivories often, I don't know if this is true for all cases, though.

Fred Scoles, RPT