Hide Glue for ivory (was Titanium Oxide)

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 14:10:03 -0500

>When mixing the powdered rutile or anatase (titanium dioxide, whiting) into
>hide
>glue, the yellowness still shows through unless I use the highest grade
>of hide glue available.  The grades sold by Pianotek and by Mohawk seem
>to be pretty clear (high grade).  Some of the hide glues from some other
>supply companies are be pretty dark and low grade.  No amount of
>whiting will mask the yellowness of a low grade glue. Since I don't
>repair ivories often, I don't know if this is true for all cases, though.
>
>Fred Scoles, RPT

I once heard you could use plain Knox Geletin in a pinch, treating the powder
like hide glue crystals.  I guess it is really just refined hide glue-
certainly it is clear.  (Don't know which is worse....the thought that I'm
eating hide glue or that I'm gluing with jello)

Anyway, I've yet to try using the Knox stuff in the field, but your post
about the darker color of lesser quality glues coming through the ivory made
me remember the tip.  Has anyone out there tried this?   I may try it on some
non-piano related project first.

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine