grand plate flanges...

John W. McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 09:34:17 -0500

>All plate members, struts, bars and other parts are tapered to permit release
>from the mold without completely distroying the mold.  To machine the flange
>for the pinblock would require considerable time and effort that the foundry is
>not set up to do nor to many piano factorys have such equipment.  It is SO much
>easier to machine wood than metal.
>        Newton
>        nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu

This makes perfect sense when looking at fairly straight flanges,  but what
about those wacky angle blocks that we sometimes run into.  The very first
block I ever did was on a Bradbury that had a flange that slowly rolled
from 90 degrees on the treble end to about 75 degrees at the horn.  What
possible design reason could there be for making a mold like this?

John McKone, RPT
St. louis Park, Minnesota
(612) 280-8375
mckonejw@skypoint.com