Ivory keytops(wafers)

RPSPIANO@aol.com RPSPIANO@aol.com
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 20:09:40 -0500

Hi Richard Wagner

 No apologies are needed you can't hurt my feelings.
I agree that the glue wafers today are not what they once were,
what else is new?
I like the idea of the toaster oven  to heat the key plates.
Don't have one in the shop, but we do have a
microwave and a fridge lets get together and we can
fix lunch!
"Slimy" is the word my wife, Marilyn , used to descibe the feel of
the wafer as she felt the glue begin to "ooze". (semantics).
Marilyn has done a few sets of keys and quite a few ivories
for about 10 or 12 years now. No complaints. We'll send
references if necessary.( average 12 -15 sets/mo.)
The last set of wafers came from American they are ok .If
you find a bad one don't use it.  Fred Scoles has a good
idea of adding some glue to the wafer I think we'll try
that sometime. Thanks Fred.
In regard to Jon Pages comments, the wafers are not
that large anymore. We do trim  excess from the wafer
if necessary. I'm not trying to write a book just give some general
information I've gained over the last 25 years. I assume people
have some common sense. The original question was from someone
who had never used a glue wafer. If you don't get it perfect the
first time having a little excess wafer to work with might help.
The key jig we use in the key shop everyday, mostly for plastic tops.
The point I was trying to make, which oboviously failed,
is everyone is looking for the fast fix. It appears everywhere in
our lives today from fast food to fast communication.  If a
customer wants to super glue a ivory on their piano fine. Lord
only knows I have seen enough of that and every other
imaginable way to attach a loose keytop.  Taking a little more
time to do a job, in a time tested manner, is a more professional
approach. Hey - anyone can slop some glue. What works for one
doesn't always work for the next fellow, but youv'e got to
go with what gives you results and some satisfaction.
I have enjoyed the discussion.

Sincerely,
Mark & Marilyn Ritchie
Columbus, OH