BECHSTEIN

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sat, 30 Nov 1996 19:02:32 +0000

Hi Arnold,

I'm glad to hear that Bechsteins have survived I will have to re=write
my history page on Bechstein.

Yes at the moment it is easier to persuade someone to restore their
piano funny enough its more easier when the Company still exists I put
this down to they think you can get the spare parts easier.

The U.K. piano trade has gone under a lot of changes in the last five
years or more.  Bentleys bought up Knights, and then not long after
Bentleys was bought by Welmars.  The work force at Bentleys who were
made redundant set up a new business and called it Woodchester pianos.

We now really only have three major manufacturers which are Kembles,
Welmars and Woodchester pianos.  Woodchester being the smaller and I
think they produce approximately 40 units a week and they buy in strung
backs to meet their shortfall.  There are a few small independent makers
one which at present I am trying to trace, thay  make Damann pianos
which was owned by the Welsh Development Office and made two or three
pianos a year.  Of course we have Yamaha which are based at Kembles
making them Eruopes largest piano manufacturer but I am unsure how many
units they produce.  I was told by one of the sales staff at Welmars
that 80 per cent of production is for export.  Also, sadly Welmars are
the only Company at present making grand pianos in the  U.K.

Tuners in the U.K. are still bitching that they haven't enough work but
whats knew.  I personally have never had a problem and at present I have
more work than I can handle especially in my workshop I need a bigger
workshop.

Take care,

thanks for the info on the Bechstein.

Barrie.

In article <199611301407.PAA10192@mail.euronet.nl>, Arnold Duin
<aduin@euronet.nl> writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |