Harpsichord rebuilding etc

FSSturm@aol.com FSSturm@aol.com
Sun, 01 Sep 1996 18:34:37 -0400

There is a harpsichord list which discusses rebuilding as well as harpsichord
music and other related subjects. HPSCHD-L@CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU is the list
address. LISTSERV@CNSIBM.ALBANY.EDU is where you subscribe (same system as
for pianotech list: in text block write SUBSCRIBE HPSCHD-L John Doe)
I don't believe a book has been published on harpsichord repair, though a
William Post Ross (I hope I remember his name correctly) was trying to
publish a book by subscription a few years back, I think in cooperation with
the Instrument Workshop, which specializes in harpsichord supplies. Their
address is 7793 Highway 66, Ashland, OR 97520-9772, phone (503)488-4671.
Hubbard Harpsichords publishes a fairly detailed booklet on maintenance,
slanted at an audience of harpsichord owners, but generally quite sound as
far as it goes. Hubbard's address: 31 Union Ave, Sudbury, MA 01776, Telephone
(508)443-3584. (I don't mention Zuckermann, since I don't know what has been
happening since David Way died: current address, etc.)
Three Centuries of Harpsichord Making By Hubbard and The Modern Harpsichord
by Zuckermann are about harpsichords in a somewhat technical way, but say
nothing about how to repair or maintain.
I am sure others will write about Owen Jorgenson's Tuning the Historical
Temperaments by Ear and his more recent and exhaustive book Tuning. There
have been articles in the Journal Early Music over the last 15 years, and
some discussion on the HPSCHD-L which could be accessed through its archives.

Fred S. Sturm, RPT
Albuquerque, NM