Key Bushing Leather

Paul Stephens pauls@ieighty.net
Sun, 01 Sep 1996 18:51:53 -0700

Avery Todd wrote:

> Doug,
>    I found this post from last December (I think) that I had saved.
>

> >Paul Dempsey asks about key bushing leather in verying thickness.  I, too,
> >use the material from Pianotek.  I size it to the thickness I need using a
> >jig and a drum sander on my drill press. This seems to do the job very
> >nicely.  The same can be done with bushing cloth.  I have come to prefer the
> >leather even though it is a bit more expensive.
> >
> >Paul Stephens, RPT
>
> _____________________________________
> Avery Todd, RPT
> Moores School of Music
> University of Houston
> Houston, TX 77204-4893
> 713-743-3226
> atodd@uh.edu
> _____________________________________

Avery, et al:

After using leather from Pianotech, I began to have some concerns.  First
the leather is so soft that it separates internally as it tries to unfold
from the bend in the front rail bushings.  I was a little more concerned
when I talked to someone in the shop at Pianotech and was told that they
had never used it in their shop.

I am now buying key bushing leather from Richard Meyer in New York.
(Check the PTJ classifieds for address and phone.)  I told him what
thickness I needed, and he sent me an excellent fine-grained material
that really works very well.  I believe it will wear much longer than the
material I got from Pianotech.

Paul Stephens, RPT