Technician's software

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Mon, 02 Sep 1996 00:37:10 -0400 (EDT)

On 1/3/00, Jodi Hckey <TunerJeff@aol.com rote:
<<Our database program(MSWorks) recognizes tabs as a signal to put
what follows into the next field. I'm not a computer expert, but I think th=
is
will work in other database programs. I haven't included ground mail
addresses or phone numbers in this database, but the same rules would apply=
..
I have no idea how much time this method takes, I haven't ever kept track,
but it doesn't seem to take very long.  >>

On 8/6/96, John Musselwhite <musselj@cadvision.com> rote:
<<Your way may be faster, but it's nice to know these tricks of the=20
software. Anybody else discover other methods?>>
Yes... spend a few minutes writing a few lines of BASIC code that reads the
list, separates it, and then write it out in a comma delineated file and
then load it into your DBase or spreadsheet and sort it there.
Of course, if you don't know BASIC, then it's irrelevant unless you can fin=
someone to write it for you.  B-})>>

On 8/6/96, McNeilTom@aol.com rote:
<<Thanks to Tom Seay for a neat description of the solution to=20
alphabetizing the Pianotech list.  I hadn't done this sort of job in many=
=20
months and was reluctant to try to verbalize it!  >>

Real interesting to go back over three months worth of saved email, now=20
loaded into my own data base, and turn up this discus sion of how to=20
convert piantech's subscriber list into a sortable dierctory. Up here,=20
I'm currently stuck with a "senior mac" (system 6.0.8). Lacking system 7,=
=20
I'm shut out of all the popular mail handlers (Eudora, Claris Emailer,=20
etc.), and resorted to my favorite data base and its strong macro=20
language. After a few nights' work, I had a template which would parse=20
the complete text block (header and message) pasted to one field, for the=
=20
usual info (from, date, subject, reply to, message), regardless of how=20
many lines the header block had and where in those lines each info lay.=20
(My previous attempt required a separate macro for each format of header=20
block.) The macro can also pick up the blank line between header and=20
message regardless of the number of lines, and it will also take=20
"subject" info to a separate field <<thread>> in which the subjects are=20
stripped of "Re:"s. Top that off with a reply window including all the=20
received messages in that thread, which has a button to carry quotes from=
=20
the messages down to the reply (and adding an attribution line complied=20
from the "from" and "date" fields), as well as formatting a tag line from=
=20
an accompaning file as a finishing touch

This little cuisinart does its work on batches of email, running a loop=20
construction, and the average cost per record is 2K. (You know, some of=20
you folks are really long-winded..not me of course). (Look up "variable" in=
=20
the index of your db's manual: if it says "see=20
'unpredictable','inconstant", you've got a weak database.)

Bear in mind that I didn't do this for mental health. Seeing my imminent=20
exile from AOL (mac v2.5 was the last one to support sys6, they're up to=20
2.7, now), I hopped over to a shell account with the local internet=20
provider. Believe me, I'm much happier doing email out of my own db file=20
than in unix terminal emulation.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

=D2I gotta go ta woik....=D3