UPRIGHT DAMPER REGULAT

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 11:53:59 -0400 (EDT)

>  The bass damper lifter rod may have a weak,(cracked), hanger in the center.
>  Does it have three hangers?
>

> Scott Johnson
> Auburn, California
> scott.e.johnson@24stex.com
>
> ___ Blue Wave/DOS v2.21 [NR]

Also, older uprights can have enough play, or "slop" in their damper
rod hanger brackets (usually 3 to 5 brackets, depending on brand) so that
it can be almost impossible to achieve good regulation.  To eliminate this
play and any squeaking noises in these brackets, I usually rebush (refelt
with the highest quality bushing cloth) these brackets and lube them with
a little Protek CPL.  If the action is on the bench for repairs, it takes
very little extra time, and saves lots of aggravation during damper
regulation.  As Bill Spurlock and others have written (PTG Journal), it is
good to have a collection of various thicknesses high quality bushing
cloth around; to insure that you will have the proper thickness for each
bushing.  Building a collection of bushing cloths can be painless ($$)
since most of the supply houses sell cloth by the 1/4 yd.

Another problem (very rare, I think) is when one of the hanger studs
which is brazed or press fit into the damper lift rod becomes loose.
When the lifter rod is out, I lightly grip each stud with a plier to see
if it is tight in the rod.

As Keith pointed out, the first priority is for an even damper lift
during full (right pedal) pedal lift, so that all strings are dampered at
the same time after many notes have been played; and so that damper
regulation can be more even.  Sometimes it is difficult to impossible to
achieve a good regulation for the Bass Sustain (usually middle pedal), if
the other criterion are met.  Since one seldom if ever uses the Bass Sustain
pedal, any necessary compromises should be made on that pedal.

Fred Scoles, RPT