player problems

Ray Hopland hoplandr@cadvision.com
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 19:02:11 -0600

Patrick

        I have found that almost every person who sits down to pump a player
does it incorrectly.  Most people will start pushing the pedals all the way
down and let the pedals return to the top.  But as they progress through the
selection, they begin to not let the pedals return to the top causing
progressively shallower pedal action which will cut efficiency as much as 70
to 80%.  Also a lot of people tend to sit too close to the piano.  Pumping a
player is somewhat like riding a bicycle, you have to have the seat at the
proper height.

        If the player mechanism has minimal leaks, this can be determined by
putting the player in the play mode and setting the tempo at zero, then
block all the tracker bar holes with something (I use masking tape).  Pump
up the pedals until they are tight and then push as hard as you can on both
pedals.  It should take at least two seconds before the pedals bottom out.
This should give reasonable playing ease.  If everything checks out, you
shouldn't have to hold onto anything on the piano unless the bench or stool
slides backwards.  It only takes me about ten minutes to educate people how
to do this properly.

Regards;
Ray