Action Geometry - Help

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Tue, 03 Sep 1996 23:37:42 -0400

Avery:

When you say you duplicated key height on #1 and #88, what do you mean exactly?  How did
you do this?  Have you considered that you should try to duplicate the keybed
environment on the workbench in order to get accurate readings in letoff and drop?

The method I use involves measuring the height of sample keys in the piano (with
cheekblocks screwed into place), then duplicating those heights on the bench using
balance rail punchings under the front edge of the keyframe.  Again, the end pins (the
ones that go into the cheekblocks) are secured to the bench just as they are in the
piano.  If there is any knocking at the glide studs, I put punchings under them as well.

Once you are sure you have "duplicated the keybed" on the bench, you should find setting
letoff and drop (rough settings, anyhow) to be much easier to do.

I suspect that the jacks are "bottoming out" because the part of the bench under the
highest end of the keyframe is slightly lower than what you'd find in the piano.  Also
could be that there's a slight rise in the bench under the balance rail at that end.

Bottom line: Make sure you're duplicating the *keybed*, not just the key height.
They're dependent upon one another!