Fork or Float

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Wed, 04 Sep 1996 00:02:06 -0400 (EDT)

On 9/2/96, MHoffman11@aol.com rote:
<<With all due respect, Bill,  would you please tell my banker, credit
card companies, vendors, etc., that I only pay my bills in the Spring and
Fall???>>

You must be new in the biz. When I started out, the Spring Tuning
Season was May and the Fall, November. I'm a little busier now and the
Spring Season runs Feb to Jul, and the  Fall Season, August through Jan. <G>

On 9/2/96, MHoffman11@aol.com rote:
<<DON'T BLAME THE WEATHER!     EDUCATE the owner and SELL them a Piano
Life Saver System.  If they choose not to take care of their instrument
properly, don't worry about what time of year that the piano is being
serviced. Period.
If they complain about the instrument changing pitch/tuning, refer them
tothe literature that you left them regarding climate control.>>

With all due respect, Mike, floating the pitch is what I have to do while
I'm waiting for that education to sink through their thick skulls.
However, just so that seasoned techs can talk within earshot of the
young'uns with less experience, I'll state that any floating I do is
under the strict guidelines which I laid out at the end of "Tuning on a
Leash" (PTJ 8/93, p. 19).  Need I quote? If so, I'll post the tech.

On 9/2/96, Bill Ballard <yardbird@sover.net> rote:
<< It took me years to figure out why pianos should be tuned twice
a year, Spring and Fall.>>
I think my original point is worth restating. It took me years to
discover the wisdom behind the conventional
"Tune-it-twice-a-year,-once-in-the-Fall-and-once-in-the-Spring". This is
what I heard starting out from long-time tuners, and from customers who
had been trained to this schedule by the long-timers, and people who
didn't even own a piano. There had to be a reason for this convention. I
didn't know it for the longest time, but obeyed it in my instructions to
customers. Naturally I would try to funnel my repeat service into those
two seasons, so that Summer and Winter could be reserved for work
appropriate then. (This summer I was working six solid days a week taking
care of five concert series, and during the winter I hole up in the shop,
so that I don't have to shovel out the driveway.)

Of course any customer gets a tuning whenever they call up. But when it
comes to scheduling regular service at six-month intervals,unless they
have a good reason for an out-to-lunch month, I'll st eer them towards
Fall and Spring.  The best thing is to tune the piano during these
temparate seasons when, at most you'll be repairing leftover damage from
the extreme seasons.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am,
and you are what you are"    From a recurring nightmare.