Subj: Talkin' Torque

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 04 Sep 1996 06:20:45 -0400

 Bill writes;

> Even at
>200 "/# torque (the most I could get from this firstversion of the
>torsion indicator), there was nary a 1 degree lag between the top and
>bottom ends of the pin. and as soon as the bottom stopped moving, and I
>stopped pushing on the top end, the two were in perfect alignment. So
>where's this mythical "twist-in-the-pin" which haunts our dreams?
=============
Greetings, Bill and List;\

        I would be inclined to ascribe more validity of this test rig if
there was a string with 170 lbs. of tension attached to the tuning pin, but
this is a great idea to start some "debate" .
        I would propose that the "flagpole" effect has as much to do with
control of topstring tension as any rotational torque that can be found in
the pin.

Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works