Fork or Float

MHoffman11@aol.com MHoffman11@aol.com
Wed, 04 Sep 1996 20:32:37 -0400

In a message dated 96-09-04 00:07:29 EDT, yardbird@sover.net (Bill Ballard)
writes:

<<
 You must be new in the biz. When I started out, the Spring Tuning
 Season was May and the Fall, November. I'm a little busier now and the
 Spring Season runs Feb to Jul, and the  Fall Season, August through Jan. <G>

 Oh Mr.  Bill!

Nope, been tuning for 14 years. (full time, ONLY source of income)

>>>With all due respect, Mike, floating the pitch is what I have to do while
I'm waiting for that education to sink through their thick skulls.
However, just so that seasoned techs can talk within earshot of the
young'uns with less experience, I'll state that any floating I do is
under the strict guidelines which I laid out at the end of "Tuning on a
Leash" (PTJ 8/93, p. 19).  Need I quote? If so, I'll post the tech.

I resent this and think your attitude stinks.  Can people on this list
disagree without "namecalling" or "pecking order" rear it's head?  (I've got
more than you do...nah, nah.)
I don't consider my customers having "thick skulls", either.  Their choices
are just that. Their choices.  I don't consider them inferior in intelligence
because THEIR needs do not match up with mine.

I wasn't disagreeing with the floating aspect; in fact, I do it myself.  I do
disagree that pianos should only be tuned in the spring and fall.  This is
not practical in the real world.

And yes, you over-experienced tuners can talk within earshot of us
"younguns".

Have a nice day, Bill.

Mike Hoffman, RPT