Fork or Float

MHoffman11@aol.com MHoffman11@aol.com
Thu, 05 Sep 1996 21:33:25 -0400

In a message dated 96-09-05 17:54:04 EDT, Wbailer@cris.com (William Bailer)
writes:

<< For instruments, especially
 winds, pitch is critical, for many of them have no lattitude on the
 "sharp" side--  it is not unusual for a trumpet to be dead on 440 with
 the tuning slide all the way "in," with no option to tune any sharper.
 They have trouble playing with a normally tuned piano, because the
 higher notes of the piano are stretched higher than the higher notes of
 the trumpet.  This is even more pronounced with clarinets and flutes--
 they must tune sharp of 440 in order to sound best in tune with a piano.
 All of these instruments have no trouble tuning flat though, by
 elongation or pulling out a tuning slide.  So my conclusion is, to be
 safe, never tune sharp and opt for flat for purposes of "floating."  In
 the case of playing with winds, flat may always be better.>>>>>>

  William:  Just to add another confusing anecdote... Our new department head
is a clarinetist and cannot tolerate anything LOWER than A442.  This is not a
problem in the month of August, when I find the school's pianos about A449
before tuning (Climate control is in the distant future after the athletic
program, of course).  However, our heating season begins in September;  I
have to raise pitch continuously from then until March or April to maintain
them at A442 . (no room to float...especially on the flat side)

The main problem I have with a blanket statement about "tune it in the Fall
and Spring" is that it doesn't work.  If I waited until the pitch reached a
zero point on the annual pitch swing,  I'd have to tune ALL of my customers'
pianos within a week of each other.  THERE IS NO "GOOD" TIME TO TUNE A PIANO.
 At least in my neck of the woods (Very Northern Michigan).  Take October,
for example.  Most pianos (in homes) will be quite sharp yet, but our
heat/air conditioning and open windows are alternating daily.  What's a guy
to do?  I say float it a bit (probably lower it a bit at the same time, too).
 Take your shot, do the best job you can and don't worry about it.

 I wholeheartedly agree with your statement that it'll sound awful by January
....maybe sooner.  Do I do the customer a disservice by tuning the piano at
"the wrong time"?  I don't believe I do.  If they listen to their technician
explain humidity control and read the information left with them, they can
make an informed decision regarding the care of their instrument.  The key is
to push climate control, not put the tuning off till some perfect
time/alignment of the planets.

Well that's one opinion, that's all.

Mike Hoffman, RPT

Marquette, MI       (where we broke our record for snowfall last year: 254")
 Did I mention our neighbor is Canada?