A-442 (was Re: Fork or Float)

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 06 Sep 1996 09:39:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Avery. I don't know anout A-442, but a couple of years ago I was asked
to tune a piano to A-441. The instrument in question was an S&S D that I
had been tuning at least once a month for the last ten or eleven years,
always to A-440. The piano and I had become good friends and because it
was kept in top shape and tuned so frequently, it almost tuned itself.
Anyway, the music director made a big deal about what a great ear he had
and how he wouldn't accept anything less than an A-441 tuning. When he
asked me if I could tune it to A-441 I told him, "No problem". When I was
finished he came over, pulled a little electronic gizmo out of his pocket
and checked the A which read 441. After playing the piano he was so elated
that he paid me twice my standard fee. What he never knew was that I tuned
my "friend" to A-440 the way I always did. Then, when I was finished, I
went back to the A and tweaked it up one cps to 441. :))))))))

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net