A-442

HPSTuner@aol.com HPSTuner@aol.com
Fri, 06 Sep 1996 18:16:59 -0400

I don't know about youall, but I' m hoping that someday ,  somebody will make
A-440 "Standard Pitch"  !!!

Gerry Hubka
St. Charles, Il.

<< Well, I guess we've opened a can of worms.  International A-440 is a lot
 less international than many seem to believe.  Here in France, as well as in
 Germany and in Japan, the standard concert pitch is A-442.  The final
 voicing at Hamburg Steinway is done at this pitch, and this is what we
 generally adhere to in our concert service.

 The exceptions are endless, and can cause considerable havoc before
 concerts.  In Paris,  American and English orchestras often specify A-440,
 and Viennese groups have developed a predilection for A-444.   Claudio
 Abbado is adamant about this higher pitch level.  Pierre Boulez's
 Ensemble Intercontemporain insists on A-440, but this isn't usually
 a problem because they own their own instruments.  Some concert
 producers have taken to asking artists at what pitch they would like
 to play, which often creates a problem where none need exist, as most
 artists (especially in small ensembles) care less about these small
 pitch level differences than stability.

 I have in my possession a position paper from Steinway, Hamburg
 stating that their garantee is no longer valid if the instrument is tuned
 above A-445.

 I've had wind players tell me there is no way they can play any higher
 than A-440, and others say that  A-442 is their lower limit.  Once one
 famous French clarinet player who always insists on A-443, showed
 up too late to arrange a pitch change, so he simply got out his second
 clarinet and played at A-442.  It was sure faster than re-tuning the
 piano.

 I think North Americans are right to be obstinate about  A-440.  The
situation
 I am describing is what you want to avoid.  If anyone wants anything
 other than standard pitch, make them explain why.  At times these
 requests are legitimate, but often it can be for reasons of artists egos
 as much as for esthetic reasons.  Bill accordingly.

 Jerry Anderson