Concerts/A440

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Fri, 06 Sep 1996 12:20:46 -0800 (PST)

List,
	Since I don't do concert work, I won't delve into the fork or
float discussion, however, I would like to comment on something I came
across a while back.
	Several years ago, Norman Neblett gave a class called " So you
want to be a concert tuner ".  This was later sold as a tape for around
$10-$15 either through Norman or Rick Baldassin.
	The tape addresses the pitch subject well.  I believe he
mentioned one of his experiences to be that the Vienna Philharmonic
showed up and 1/2 hour before curtain time, in finding the piano at 440,
they refused to perform unless it was brought up to 442.  Under high
stress he changed it.
	I believe that his solution (after that) was to have a contract
with the concert hall that all tunings were to be at 440 and for all
performers to know this ahead of time or make other arrangments.  I also
believe that any custom deviation (pitch, regulation, voicing or
otherwise) he would charge for the deviation, changing it back after the
concert plus his normal work.
	This tape is designed for piano technicians in a concert setting
however many of the things taught can be used in our everyday work
dealing with people, especially those who tend to be fussy.  It also
teaches ideas on how we are perceived by the public and our public
image.  For this reason, he only sells it to piano technicians and he
asks that it not be played for everyone, but rather keep its use limited
to piano technicians.  The tape is well worth the money.  I believe
Norman will still make you a copy.

Ron Shiflet