Fork or Float

William Bailer Wbailer@cris.com
Sat, 07 Sep 1996 17:53:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 7 Sep 1996 BobDavis88@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 96-09-07 10:23:34 EDT, Steve Brady writes:
><snip>
>Although we have a very mild pitch swing here in my part of California, I see
>a few pianos in unheated churches, that swing intolerably from season to
>>season, ...

>Bob Davis, RPT
>Stockton, CA

Bob,
I know what you mean, but I would like to point out a possible
implication which may be a cause of misunderstanding:

It is my experience that pianos that are in truly unheated environments,
such as unoccupied summer homes, stay in tune extremely well, and drift
much less than tose in heated buildings.  In the case of the churches
that you describe, I suspect that that actually are heated at least part
of the time--  such as Sunday morning at the least.  That would drive
the humidity dramatically lower, and cause swift and drastic pitch
changes to a greater degree than in a normally heated home.  This is
quite different than what happens in a truly unheated building in which
the humidity actually is much more stable than in a heated building.
The reason is that the temperature is free to change with the outdorr
temperature, and the outdoor humidity is much more constant than indoor
humidity.  Here in Rochester NY, the outdoor humidity rarely drops below
40%, yet, the same air when heated (indoors) may be at 15%.

Bill Bailer

\\\  William Bailer                              wbailer@cris.com
\\\  Rochester, NY, USA                       phone: 716-473-9556
\\\  Interests: acoustics, JSBach, anthropology, piano technology