A-442 (was Re: Fork or Float)

Bonifield-Poulson bonifarm@netshel.net
Sun, 08 Sep 1996 14:47:33 -0800

Dear Barb:  The only time I was asked to do a non-standard concert
tuning, I was indeed surprised at how much work it took to raise the
piano ( a Steinway D) just to A441 as requested and stabilize it
there.  It seemed like the piano had an "inertia" that resisted the
pitch change.  Don't forget, also, that the piano has to be brought
back to A440 after the concert, which is usuaally just as much work.
After all was said and done, the house manager said they would never
change the piano's pitch again for any visiting artist.  Patrick
Poulson, RPT