A-442 (was Re: Fork or Float)

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Sun, 08 Sep 1996 18:30:01 -0400

In a message dated 96-09-08 12:44:34 EDT, dkvander@clandjop.com
(Vanderhoofven) writes:

<< Just a question... Someday I would like to be a concert tuner, and I
 recently was asked to tune the Steinway D at our local college.  It was very
 sharp, and I did three tunings to lower it to A-440 and then to stabilize
 it.  It was my best tuning ever.

David,
Congratulations! It is a great feeling when you know you have tuned well,
isn't it. I don't know why (maybe one of our professors can enlighten both of
us-Dr. JIM???) but many times it is much more difficult for me to lower a
piano than to raise it. The sharper it is, the more tunings it takes to
stabilize it. Three is not unusual for me either when it is very sharp.

<< But how frequently do you have to tune your concert pianos to maintain
them
 at A-440?  I would really appreciate knowing that so I can make
 recommendations to our local college.

During the season, the pianos are generally used at least once a week. This
seems to keep them pretty stable. I tune for every rehearsal and for every
performance and charge full fee for each one. These rehearsal tunings, I am
convinced, are what contributes most to the stability during the performance.

If several weeks pass and we haven't used the concert instruments, I will
drop by when I'm in the area and put a very quick tuning on them; no charge
to the customer, most of the time they don''t even know I do it. Having the
tuning in my Accutuner for that instrument is what makes it so easy for me;
I'm usually in and out in 15 minutes. I would rather spend that 15 minutes
making my life easier than spend an additional whatever doing pitch lowers or
raises for rehearsals/performances.

If your objective is to be a "concert" technician, then I would advise you to
give a little extra now as you educate the local college folks to what the
instrument's needs are for concert level.

1. Be involved with your instrument; keep the management informed as to what
it needs now and for the next five years--set a plan (long range plan, Vision
2001<G>.)

2. Tune for rehearsals and charge for the tuning but stay for the rehearsal.
The artist will greatly appreciate it if you are there; I know from
experience! Also, you will learn a great deal. Plus you will get to know the
orchestra people--new referrals/new business opportunities.

3. If you read music, get a copy of the score and study it. The artist's
appreciation and trust in you will triple if he/she sees that you are
interested in what is being performed. I have had many artists comment most
favorably when they see I have the score with me. Plus, the score will help
you discover potential problem areas.

4. Be there for the performance--for yourself, the artist, and the music!

Gina