Repetition Spring Sizes

Avery Todd ATodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 09 Sep 1996 07:57:04 -0500

Dear List,
   Does anyone have the sizes of repetition springs for a Steinway L,
1920's vintage? Aren't they supposed to graduate from the bass to the
treble? This
same piano I've been having all the trouble with has had the rep. springs
replaced: #1 is .033 and #88 is .036. This seems wrong to me, anyway.
Shouldn't the bigger springs be in the bass?
   In addition, I discovered the tails going into the back of the jack are
too long and quite a few are pressing on the wood when the jack is moved!
Makes for a very interesting feel! <G>
   Don't go and measure anything, but if you know the sizes I would appreciate
a post. This action has to go back sometime today. Next project, get the
wippens replaced. Or rebuild the whole action correctly, which is what it
needs!
   Thanks for any help.

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT