1% crunch

Pianocraft@aol.com Pianocraft@aol.com
Mon, 09 Sep 1996 18:31:14 -0400

Jim,

It is important to remember that I said that most cracks are caused be ether
compression set or compression failure. Compression set will make the board
less wide across the grain and make the board more susceptible to tension
across the grain (cracks). Ridges are clear indication of compression failure
in the area of the ridges. That is some of the cells have been displaced
enough to cause damage. Where there are multiple ridges it is likely the
board has undergone some compression set as well (the board is smaller across
the grain). An example of this is in my shop, a S&S D that had a replacement
soundboard installed in the late 50s. Compression ridges at most of the glue
lines and elsewhere. No sign of cracks. This board shows no crown even in
this humid weather. Cracks are not the only symptoms of the problem; over
compression can cause premature collapse of crown.

I just did some quick calculations about the amount of tension and
compression due strictly to curving the board into a 60 foot R. This
disregards compression due to wood movement. Using a measurement of 48 inches
representing the longer ribs across the grain the difference between the 720
inch radios of the bottom of the board and the 720.357 inch radius of the top
of the board is .025 inch. That is, if the bottom of the board measures 48
inches and is curved to a radios of 60 ft. the top of the board will measure
48.025. This is equal to .052%. In this situation we would divide this in
halve so we have .026% of tension on the top of the board and .026%
compression on the bottom of the board. Since wood’s elastic limit is
approximately 1% I think we can safely disregard these small figures. Also it
has been my experience as well that compression ridges will most often appear
on both sides of the board especially in more severe cases. I do not remember
seeing cracks that do not go through the board.

In my opinion compression set is the biggest factor in soundboard ridges and
cracks. The board is confined mostly by the ribs. Considering that we have
stress due to downbearing (about 20% of the stress to elastic limit) a
soundboard can only safely be subjected to a change in EMC of 5%. If we rib
the board at 5.5% EMC it can live in an environment between 27% RH and 59%
RH.

One of the reasons the problem is found at the glue line is that some glues
can affect the hydroscopic properties in the glue line area (use hide glue
instead). Another is that often too much pressure is used in making the panel
and the wet wood cells near the glue line are damaged (be careful). Still
another is that miss-matched grain from individual boards in the panel can
add additional stresses (be selective). Nevertheless compression set and
compression damage is the root cause, only the glue line area is weaker or
more susceptible.

John Hartman