Piano inspection/moving

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 00:09:10 -0800 (PST)

Steve,
	I have a couple of methods that I use myself.  They probably
don't answer all of this persons questions, but I'll pass them along
anyway.  In both cases I am rolling the piano on its wheels so the
carpet and bad wheel problem I can't speak for,  other than I have never
had a problem with this.  Please keep in mind I am referring to vertical
pianos.  In doing this, I am letting my legs do the work so I don't tear
up my back.  They will work moving a piano far enough away for an
estimate.

1. 	 When I need to move a piano *away from a wall*, I sit on the
bench and push up against the key bed with my legs (don't scratch the wall).  Stretch out your arms and either grab both sides, or the legs of
the piano.  While the piano is up, I pull at one side and then the other
alternating back and forth.  Usually, the piano just rolls.  I would
*not* use this on a tall piano.
	Away from a wall,  it also will work ( by scooting) and yes, away
from a wall, you could tip one over.  There are lots of "what ifs" on this.  Use common sense.   All disclaimers apply.

	This next one is hard to explain.  Read it carefully and try it.
It's great.

2.  	When *pushing a piano back*, I will go to one side of the
piano, reach over the piano and rest my hand at the back, letting my
fingers reach over the edge and *grip* the back.  Which hand I use
depends on whether or not that particular side is in a corner..
	Lets say that the right side is in a corner.  I will reach over
(pianos right side) and grip with my left hand.  I will take my right
hand, palm toward the piano and put my hand against the leg at knee height.  Then I push against my hand with my knee.  The pushing slightly lifts the front and the piano just glides into place.  In extreme cases, the
other hand can push but it usually isn't necessary

	I use method #1 when I cannot open the lid (picture above it or
whatever).  I use #2 when putting it back.  In doing an estimate, I move
the piano as little as possible.
	These are a *feel* that you must develop, but they move so easily
that it literally amazes customers.  Write back if you need
clarification.  Edit it if you need.
Best Wishes,

Ron Shiflet, RPT
Phoenix Chapter