Piano inspection

HPSTuner@aol.com HPSTuner@aol.com
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 10:22:49 -0400

After sustaining a slipped disc, I learned to lift pianos with my ankle.  I
can place my knee under the keybed where it joins the side of the piano and
lift with my ankle.  There is a lot  of leverage there and by turning the
ankle I can move a piano out an inch or two at a time with no strain whatever
to my back.  I also place my hand between the wall and the back  because the
piano wants to tip toward the wall. The secret to make this easy is to bring
wood blocks of various sizes to "take up the lost motion" if needed.  Books
or a hard shelled tool case can work in a pinch.  The disadvantage is that if
you lift too far away from the body of the piano, you can flex the keybed and
cause the piano to go out of tune, also, toe blocks can make it more
difficult, but I was always able to manage. I have used this method to change
legs on a grand,  or to install caster cups, however,  I also have a heavily
constructed parts case that I made to just slide under a grand  and can
support the weight.  Do not try this if you are not comfortable with it or
can't handle the unexpected! (like a leg falling off). I can also get down on
all fours and place the weight above my shoulders.  There is tremendous
leverage there and very little strain on the lower back.

Disclaimer: under no circumstances should you try the above without me  being
there to supervise.

Gerry Hubka, St. Charles, Il.

<< "Does anyone have a system for singlehandedly moving a piano out
 from the wall for inspection that:
 	1. doesn't involve heavy lifting with the back? >>