High tension bass

Mark Dierauf 71204.2532@CompuServe.COM
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:15:43 -0400 (EDT)

>>This piano was restrung about 10 years ago. Is it possible the wound strings
>>were made improperly? I'm thinking that the bass/lower tenor section needs to
>>be rescaled, or at least from B flat 2 to E flat 3 (on treble bridge). I'm
>>looking for the most economical alternative here.

  Is it possible that the original were iron wound? Iron has a lower specific
gravity than copper, so copper strings wound to the same dimensions will have a
higher tension than those wound with iron. I've run into this problem before on
a Knabe upright - went through two sets (of tenor bichords) before Al Sanderson
clued us in to the problem and supplied the correct copper diameters. As I
recall, the offending strings were at just over 70% of breaking point, and Al
recommends no more than 66%
  If you'd care to send me the specs for these strings, I can work out
replacements for you. Ideally, of course, you would be replacing all the wound
strings, so they could be rescaled to match the new tenor strings.
  You can e-mail me directly for details.

			Mark Dierauf
			Concord, NH

visit the WinScale Homepage at: