9-11-96 SYSTEMS UPDATE: Web server

Information Provider Coordinator ipc@prairienet.org
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 09:05:15 -0500

As you all know by know, the computer which functions as our dedicated Web
server suffered a major meltdown last week.  And, because trouble never
rides into town alone, this was compounded by other major but unrelated
systems problems on bluestem last week.

Currently, we are waiting for our replacement hard disk to arrive.  If it
arrives today or tomorrow and all goes well, we should be back up and
running by the weekend.  Worst case scenario: the replacement does not
resolve the hardware/software conflict.

This list will be notified as soon as there is any definite word.

In the meantime, we apologize for the major inconvenience this is causing
everyone.  Needless to say, this problem is our top priority right now and
we are doing what we can to fix it.

The URL: bluestem.prairienet.org  will continue to work for internal use.
We don't recommend publicizing this very widely since it will cease to work
once things are back to normal.

Some of you have asked "why not switch the domain name 'www.prairienet.org'
to bluestem".  This won't work as a short-term solution because of the time
it takes for a domain name change to propagate (take effect) across the
Internet.  By the time it was fully propagated, our webserver might well be
back up and running.

We'll keep you posted.

-- Karen Fletcher
for the Prairienet Systems Staff