Too much sustain <"Re: Too much sustain"@niflheim.rutgers.edu> (Sep 10, 9:51pm)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 20:36:22 -0400

This is not s snide remark so:
	You could use some rubber, like a piece of rubber band, under the
strings near the bridge.  You may have to experiment a bit to get just exactly
the effect you wish.  This approach will not effect the tone or other
charastics of the piano but will help to suppress the extra sustain time.
	If the bridge approach doesn't appeal try some rubber cement directly
on the strings to experiment.  Rubber cement has the virtue that it is easily
removed.
	Would that all pianos had such a problem.
	There is no room to install more dampers but I have given this much
thought because of a piano that was made without some dampers in the upper
area.  If need be I will share my so called thinking.
	Newton
	nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu