Cold Season

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 20:59:59 +0000

On 11 Sep 96, Alan Rudolph Zajicek wrote:

> One of our piano professors asked if it would do any damage to the
> keytops if she sprayed Lysol on a rag and then wiped the germs off
> of the keys.  I told her that I would ask the "list".  Thanks

My gut reaction is that, if the keytops are ivory, she's likely to do
more damage than help (based on what, I don't know -- there's a lot
of stuff in Lysol!).  Isn't it true that most germs die within
minutes or seconds if they're exposed to open air?  She'd have to be spraying
the keys fairly often to proactively kill those germs.  She'd
probably do better to insist that students with colds skip the
lesson!
Ron Torrella, RPT         The Piano Page
Univ. of Michigan   <http://www.prairienet.org/arts/ptg/homepage.htm>