Centenial Edition M&H

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 20:40:16 -0600

>List;
> I have just removed the plate from a M&H 'B' in the rebuild process and was
>reminded once again that Aeolian M&Hs weren't Boston M&Hs.  The pinblock in
>this instrument is not glued in at any point and is only connected to the rim
>by through screws via plate web (1 ea side) through pin block into shelf. I
>have seen many M&Hs by Aoelian manf. in this fashion. This particular block
>is even notched out at the ends so that the plate through screws will not
>bind on the pinblock. There is a space between the block and stretcher that
>varies from 1/4" to 1/2". (measured before block or plate were removed)
>  This brings me to my question, i.e. should I just install the new block in
>the same manner or should I fit and glue the block in, ala Steinway and
>Boston M&H ? In your  'opinion' will there be an improvement enough in
>stability to warrant the extra effort ? Any thoughts, theories are welcome as
>I have hashed this problem out by myself many times and have not arrived at a
>satisfactory answer by myself.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Hi Jim,

I vote for doing it right and fitting the pinblock properly like Aeolian
should have done in the first place. I saw the same thing in an (Aeloian)
M&H 9 foot concert grand here in Austin once, but the block wasn't being
replaced, so the point was moot with this piano.

Spend some extra time and do it right. Easy for me to say,  'cause I don't
have to do it!

Good luck.

Tom Seay, RPT

Tom Seay